Chael Sonnen turned down $5 million contract from WWE and never told UFC boss Dana White
By Jesse Holland @Jesse_Holland on Oct 31 2014, 9:34a 50
Chael Sonnen was in demand.
The former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight (and light heavyweight) title contender, perhaps best known for his pre- and post-fight theatrics, claims professional wrestling powerhouse WWE offered him a $5 million contract to abandon his post at ZUFFA and join the dark side.
An offer he told his podcast listeners (via MMA Fighting) was promptly denied.
Good thing UFC President Dana White didn’t catch wind of that offer, or he might have actually followed through with this.
Sonnen stuck around to continue his mixed martial arts (MMA) career, which unfortunately ended on a sour note. After failing a pre-fight drug test earlier this year, the former Ultimate Fighter (TUF) coach was forced to resign from both UFC and FOX Sports.
Retired UFC fighter Chael Sonnen is finally being honest about intentionally violating drug rules, but he isn’t about to apologize for any of it. Speaking on his new podcast, You’re Welcome, Sonnen says he’ll just have to live with intentionally trying to game the system.
“I’m not going to apologize because I’m not sorry. I’m a consenting adult. I knew exactly what I was doing. This was a premeditated decision,” Sonnen said.
Sonnen went on to explain the rationale and criteria he used when deciding what drugs to take. What substances were and were not allowed by governing athletic commissions was not one of the criteria he was concerned with.
“For me, the litmus test was flawed, but here was my litmus test: Can’t be a steroid, and it’s got to be legal,” Sonnen explained.
“I can’t take anything, I don’t wan’t to be in possession of anything that isn’t legal. What I’m talking about there, I’m not talking about the commissions and their rules, I’m talking about the law. I’m talking about, am I holding something in my possession and then a police officer sees me, am I allowed to have that. If the answer’s yes, then I’m in. That was my test. If I could get this legal, if there’s a legal medication, I’m taking it, I’m not cross-referencing it with the commission. I’m not taking the rules or someone else’s over that of a doctor. That’s what I’d tell myself to sleep well at night.”
There is no way of knowing for certain if Sonnen is telling the truth here, or once more lying. As a convicted felon, he has shown to have trouble keeping on the right side of the law, and before he got caught using himself, he criticized other athletes for using drugs he himself used or would go on to use.
All that is to say – we may be finally getting the full truth from Sonnen, or just another partial version of it. In any case, the three-time UFC title challenger isn’t shrinking away from his actions or the limelight.
Sonnen will admit to cheating, but he won’t say he’s sorry for having tried.Â “If you’re going to try to get away with something, if you’re beat, you’re beat,” Sonnen concluded.
“There’s nothing more to it, there’s nothing more to the story. I took something, I was caught, I got tarnished and that’s it.”
The featherweight champion retains his title and extends his winning streak to 18 by winning 49-46 on all three cards in the main event of UFC 179 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Don’t get your hopes up too high just yet, but retired former UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre‘s head coach says that he believes GSP will eventually make a return to competition.Â ”I think so,” Zahabi said, in a recent MMA Fighting interview.
“I think Georges cannot separate himself from MMA, from martial arts. I don’t think he could. I think it’s carved out a part of his psyche, I think he’s done it since he was so young, I think it’s who he is. It protected him in the school yard, it created him living. I don’t think he could successfully separate himself from MMA.”
That all said, Zahabi also explained that St. Pierre isn’t back to doing martial arts training, since injuring his knee. According to the coach, “Rush” also has not made a decision himself about whether or not he’ll ever fight again.
“He has no definite plans whatsoever, that’s the bottom line,” Zahabi said.
“That’s not the answer everybody wants to hear, but it’s the truth. No matter what anybody tells you, he still has not made up his mind.”
St. Pierre will have a lot of recovery to go through before he is able to know for sure if and when he’ll make a come back to the UFC. He has already accomplished pretty much all there is to accomplish in the sport of MMA, but it sounds like his friend and coach thinks the fighter will simply have trouble finding another identity and life style for himself.
Whatever the long-time 170 pound king decides, we hope it is for the right reasons. At some point in his life, even if it isn’t now, he’ll have to come to terms with a change of identity as he transitions to a world away from fight competition.
To check out the rest of Zahabi’s excellent interview, click here.Â
Follow Elias on Twitter @EliasCepeda & @YahooCagewriter
Tito Ortiz and Stephan Bonnar headline a loaded card on November 15th Live and Free on Spike TV! Plus, Michael Chandler vs Will Brooks II, King Mo vs Tom DeBlass & Melvin Manhoef vs Joe Schilling.